Tuesday, November 25, 2008

St. Andrew's Feast Day

Catholics celebrate Saints feast days, which is basically a designated day to remember the holy men and women of our past. I am writing about this because Nov 30th is St. Andrew the Apostle's Feast Day. I have been praying to St. Andrew for about 4 years now. Some may think that is odd, because why not pray to God, which I do...but I pray to St. Andrew to help get my message to God. You know how you have special connections with people and how you have best friends in life. St. Andrew is like that for me...I have a connection to him. I feel he hears me and listens to my needs, wants, and wishes. I know that life does not happen on our on time line (something I continue to struggle with today) but praying to St. Andrew helps me realize that the things I need and want will happen on God's time line. It is a comforting thought and a peaceful one.

In St. Paul's Basilica in Rome they have larger than life statues of all the Apostle's. For me it was like meeting St. Andrew. The statues are so life like and real. My connection to him grew even stronger. His feast day has come and gone in the past without me realizing it, but this year it is on my mind. It is my mind for many reasons this year. I am happy to take time out of my day to say "Thank You" to a person who lived many ages ago, but still takes the time to listen to my prayers. Again, it is a peaceful thought and a thought that helps me realize that with all the hustle and bustle of modern time - there is a purpose. I hope I am fulfilling my God given purpose...(especially with the help of St. Andrew).

Here is a prayer I found for St. Andrew on his Feast Day. I like it because it states that he is being an advocate for us (even though the old language is somewhat hard to understand).

Prayer for the Feast of Saint Andrew
We humbly entreat Thy majesty, O Lord, that as the blessed Apostle Andrew was once a teacher and ruler of Thy Church: so he may be a constant advocate for us before Thee. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, Who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, one God, world without end. Amen.


St. Andrew's Statue in St. Paul's Basilica, Rome, Italy

No comments:

Pageviews last month