Friday, November 21, 2008

Special Days

When Adam and I were little...we would have pretend birthday parties. My mom went along with this because she likes a good party just like we did. We would have cake and make our pretend birthday a celebration. One year we must have gotten a little over board because my granddad told my mom we needed to not have so many birthday parties. So Special Days were created. A special day is a day you get to pick and it is celebrated like your birthday. My brother is truly the genius behind this idea because he did not think it was fair that you were "stuck" with a birthday. He at the time thought people should be able to pick a day that was their favorite day. Again, my mother went along with this idea. So the Rust family chose special days. Mine is St. Patrick's Day...b/c of my name Erin and we are Irish.

When I went to college, my family kept my special day a live. They would bring me food (cookies) and other trinkets for me on that day. My college girlfriends got a hold of this idea as well so we all picked special days.

Now that Owen is in my life, he too has a special day...which is tomorrow. He definitely gets into the spirit of the day...actually he is saying since his day is on a weekend that the special day starts today (friday) and lasts all weekend. I am not sure I am buying that...but am going along since mine will be on a weekend too one year. Being that it his is special day he gets out of certain chores, gets to eat his favorite foods, gets to open up a present, and he just might get out of walking the dog tomorrow morning. I say might...because it is so cold in the mornings and I don't like to get up that early, especially on a Saturday. However it is his day...so I may have to make that sacrafice.


I just got this plate for our family. I thought it would be a fun tradition to start. If it is your special day...you get to eat off the Special Day plate.

4 comments:

Telena said...

I remember your special day celebrations! How sweet that Owen has one too! :) Grant would love to start that tradition since he hates his February birthday!!

lynlee79 said...

I'm glad to see Owen is keeping the family tradition going. I love the special day plate idea. Tell Owen I hope he has a great weekend full of fun and relaxation!

heatherclardy said...

That is such a neat idea. I am so glad Erin, to be able to keep up with you on here now. I am so glad that you are doing so well!

The Campbells said...

I just love special days!

Pageviews last month