Thursday, November 13, 2008

Deacon Adam...aka my little brother

Adam is my younger brother and for the past 4 years he has been on a journey to become a Catholic Priest. I pray for him every night. I pray for him to have strength, dedication, and commitment to the choice he made for his calling in life. But it was not until this past October that it hit me...Adam will be a priest. It was not hard for me say until this October when my family (immediate and extended) went to Rome, Italy to see Adam ordained a deacon in St. Peter's Basilica. He was one of 20 or so men to be ordained by the Bishop of Wisconsin. During the ordination I was at peace...calm and happy for Adam. His school had a breakfast and lunch for the family of the seminarians and at lunch I asked him if he was nervous (this ceremony is the one where he takes the vow of celibacy). He returned the question with a question and asked me if I was nervous on my wedding day. It was then that I realized he was making that big of a decision and committing his life to our Lord. Needless to say he was not nervous, but excited. He was glowing the whole day. I think it was a perfect day for Adam. He had 34 of his closest friends and family supporting him. After the ordination we all went to eat at Alfredo's (the birth place for fetteccine Alfredo). We celebrated and rejoiced for Adam that night!

The following day we went to Orveto, Italy so Adam could "say" mass for the 1st time. This was his first official sermon. I was a basketcase. The moment Adam walked down the aisle I started crying. I cried for so many reasons. I was happy to see Adam accomplish a goal of his, I was happy to see my little brother grown up, & I got emotional seeing his high school friends take communion from him. I was also a little sad. I am human and my human selfishness was sad that my baby brother has chosen a path where he can not have a family of his own. I know he is my family and he will be the best uncle for my future children. And I know that he is serving our world in the best way he knows how. I am not holding onto the sadness b/c I know in my heart of hearts that Adam is where he needs to be. He did not turn away from the calling of Jesus Christ. Instead he ran towards it and I am so proud of him. He is an inspiration and I am thankful he is my brother. I have been blessed to have him in my life and look forward to the many ways he will teach me to be a better Catholic.


Adam walking down the aisle at St. Peter's at the beginning of the ordination


Adam leaving the ordination...he is now Deacon Adam


Adam's 1st mass


After mass (my face is so puffy from crying)

No comments:

Pageviews last month