Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Off Balance

I feel like our world lately has been off balance. Mainly my rhythm with Andrew. He is telling me "no" alot and not listening. I know it is his age but I don't know how to positively spin this like I have done with him every other time he has gone through a developmental stage. I am assuming that is what is going on. He is 2 1/2 so I am sure there is a growth spurt happening. I need to read up on that. He has become a little more clingy than normal and poor Owen can't do anything right in Andrew's eyes.

Andrew loves watching tv now. Not just one show anymore he likes anything on sprout. This is a new thing - he used to like having it on but would play and watch. It was almost like background noise. I am definitely ok with that b/c I like to have the tv on all the time too - just for noise. But now he sits and stares at. Luckily everything on sprout is good to watch and I do think he is absorbing the little things they are teaching kids - but it is become a problem because that is all he wants to do when he is in the house. He also loves outside and would be out there all day but it is 90 plus degrees outside and I just don't want all of us to get too hot.

I also feel that when we get home at night we are rushed. I am rushed to get the bags out of the car, put up dirty bottles from the day, empty dish washer, straighten up, try to do another chore all while keeping Sam entertained and paying attention to Andrew. I hear "Mommy, I need you" or "Mommy, I want you" probably 100 times from 4:30 to 6:30 pm. I try really hard to sit and play or sit and watch a show with Andrew to give him attention but there is just so much to do. I do have realistic expectations that the house will not be they way I like it but there are things that need to get done. I just feel like I am struggling a little right now.

So with the struggle of getting ready to end the day, I do let Andrew watch tv. But then comes the problem of turning it off to get in the bath and ready for the night. He just won't do it. He goes crazy at night. I call it night time crazies. I know he has energy but it is important to get in the bath at a certain time for Sam. Sam is tired and ready for bed at 5:30 but has to wait until 6:30 so by that time he is so over the day. I just don't know how to get Andrew on board with out having a melt down. I am tired of time out b/c it does nothing except prolong bath time. Tonight I am going to try a treat if he listens. I don't know...this morning I just wanted to cry. I guess that is why I am writing about it - hoping I can make sense of it and just move on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You aren't alone, I promise! Every Mommy goes through this and I feel like as a working Mommy I go through it more often. I can remember feeling the same way when Reese was Andrew's age. We are going through our own "issues" with behavior and she's 4--sassy!! Now I'm even more worried about bringing home a baby and her getting worse. Just know you aren't alone! Love you!

The Campbells said...

I feel you! We have had some rough times lately too. Caroline is really big on the word "no" also. Not fun. And the other day in Chick-Fil-A (after, ummm, 3 spankings), she looked at me and said "I don't like you" over and over. I really wanted to cry right in the middle of the restaurant. I really try to be patient but you can only take so much sometimes...

Pageviews last month