Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tough Week

What a week! Andrew started a new class this week at his daycare. I did not anticipate this being a hard transition. But, it has been. Monday morning was terrible. He cried like he was being tortured. But Monday afternoon was worse. The moment he saw me he started screaming my name and his face turned red. He was sitting in a high chair and I couldn't get the snaps undone fast enough. He clinched onto my shoulder and cried until he realized I was taking him home. At home, he was just so sad. He did not want me to put him down - so I didn't.

The next morning he woke up happy until it was time to eat breakfast and then the clinging and tantrum began. He only wanted to eat while sitting in my lap. I gave in thinking he may not feel well (he is getting in a lot of teeth, so I know they were hurting him). But the moment he got his way, he was happy again and not acting sick - so I was out smarted. When we pulled up to his daycare and parked, Andrew started crying. This has never happened. When we got to the room, he cried louder. I have been heartbroken these past two days leaving a crying baby. I did call both Monday and Tuesday and they told me he was great and having a good day. When I picked him up yesterday he ran to me and said "mama" in the saddest voice. I actually picked him up early b/c we had his 6 month check for his tubes at the ENT. The moment the doctor walked in the door my baby Andrew started trembling and crying. Just like the title states - it has been a rough week. Luckily his tubes look great! His tonsils and adenoids are huge - potential future surgery. The doctor gave Andrew a sucker and from that point on he was happy. UNTIL, we get home and have to eat dinner. The Oscar winning tantrum resurfaces and he does not want to eat in his high chair. This time I was strong about it and he cried for less than 5 minutes - I know b/c the oven timer was on. After his melt down and realization I was not picking him up, he settled down and ate a great dinner. AND THEN, we had a baby sitter come over b/c Owen and I went to to a realtor's award banquet. Andrew did not like this idea. He clinched on my shoulders and would scream if our babysitter or Owen tried to take him away...so for the 3rd time this week I have left my baby screaming and crying. It's been a tough week for me too.

However, we had success this morning! No crying when he had to sit in his high chair to eat, he actually let Owen feed him breakfast, and he only got upset for a minute when I dropped him off today. No tears...just a little unhappy. Yea for progress!!!

We have the same babysitter coming on Thursday so Owen and I can go to a Art for Heart auction downtown...hopefully since it the same lady he will be ok on Thursday. I know I have said this before, but this week has been hard on me.

2 comments:

Telena said...

Sounds like he's going through a "Mommy only" phase. I remember Reese doing that and there are times she still does it. Sorry, Mama, it will get better, I promise! :) Love you!

The Campbells said...

I completely understand about how hard it is to leave a crying baby. Caroline just recently stopped crying when I drop her off...now she just has this brave little face trying not to cry. :-( And as I write this, I'm listening to her cry bc it's her 1st night without her paci. I've discovered I waited way too long to take it away bc she can actually ask for it. Should have done it a long time ago!! Hope this week is better!!

Pageviews last month