Monday, September 27, 2010

Curve Ball

I have been thrown a curve ball and it is really throwing me off. Since last Sunday, Andrew has been waking up in the middle of the night with a drenched diaper and he seems to be starving. I change him and feed him and then all is well. This behavior seemed like a classic growth spurt to me. But growth spurts are only supposed to last a few days. We are on day 7 of this. Last night was the worst night. I fed him a good dinner and then gave him his bottle. He didn't wake up until midnight. He didn't even cry at midnight, just moving around. I thought...well since he is a wake let me go change his diaper. It was soaked but that just woke him up even more. It took me 2 hours to get him to sleep again. I ended up feeding him, which put him to sleep immediately. I am very confused if he is really starving at night or if he is training me for more cuddle time. One book I read said he is training me. But if that is the case, then why the full diaper? I have to take care of that so he doesn't sleep in it all night. But my question then is, does he wake up b/c of the diaper and then realizes he is hungry? Or does he wake up hungry and then realize his diaper is over flowing? This is becoming very bothersome for me. Andrew doesn't nap well at day care so I really depend on his night sleeping to catch up. I also read to put him to bed earlier. Then I read he may be getting ready for a milestone, like walking. He is showing signs of walking so that theory seemed valid. I also read about diaper doubles, but of course they don't sell those in Hattiesburg and I need a quick fix. I don't want to wait for shipping. I am so tired right now. I know waking up once a night is not terrible, in fact I should feel lucky. But I am too tired to feel anything but crankiness.

Not only am I dealing with a change in night time sleep patterns, but I am also dealing with his formula Similac being recalled. The reason we use Similac is b/c he didn't like eating the Enfamil formula when I first transitioned him into formula. Thursday I went to target to look at their off brand formula b/c I heard that was good. But it was compared to Enfamil so I didn't get it. However, I saw Enfamil Bedtime Formula and I got it with the hopes it would solve my night time issues and it could also be my way of transitioning into a new formula brand. Well I am a sucker for labels b/c the bed time formula did nothing for me or Andrew. In fact he woke up earlier that night. Geez...I just can't win. I am going to try to look at Wal-mart's off brand today. I think it maybe compared to Similac. I can still by the liquid formula but it is more expensive and I have to refrigerate it after opening which is a pain for when I give him his morning bottle b/c I have to heat it and I really don't need an extra step in the morning.

We went to the MSU game this past weekend. Andrew did amazing. I made a rookie mommy mistake though and didn't pack an extra change of clothes or enough extra diapers for in the game. We had a blow out and I was out of luck with no spare clothes. Lesson learned! We stayed the night in a hotel and Andrew did well except for the night waking. Even after an extra bottle he didn't go to sleep. Finally he fell asleep on me and I was able to put him down (after 2 hours of trying). But after that saga I couldn't calm down enough to sleep myself. However that was the only hiccup to a good weekend and the Bulldogs won so it was even better.

Well that is enough rambling for a Monday morning. Thanks for reading.

Love Erin

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OK this is random (and I am little behind on blog reading, so you may be fine now!) but do you use Pamper's nightime diapers for Andrew at night? They are supposed to last 12 hours. Someone suggested it to me when we were trying to get Jones to sleep through the night. Wasn't able to because he would wake up wet. well this did the trick! He doesn't feel a thing and can go (most nights) all night!

Good luck!

Pageviews last month