Friday, July 10, 2009

Belk

As many of you know Belk used to be McRae's. McRae's and I have had a long relationship. Not only did I shop there way too often as a college student, but I worked there as well. When I was a senior in college I had a paid internship in the junior's department. Looking back I think I worked in the junior's department and called it an internship to get class credit for the Fashion Merchandising degree I was striving for even though I knew deep down I would not last long in the fashion world. I kept that job until a couple of months (maybe 6) after graduation. That is when I woke up from my denial of wanting to work in retail for the rest of my life. So I landed a sweet 8-5 job at MUW. That job prompted me to realize I had no hobbies after work and needed to occupy myself between the hours of 5 and 9 pm. So I went back to McRae's to work in the make up world. I have to admit make up was and is a hobby of mine. I loved that job. Until yet again I woke up and realized I was tired. Working 8am to 9pm was not fun even though I loved being around my co-workers (Lynn...that is for you). I tell you this in an attempt to paint a picture of how I like McRae's and loved shopping there. So when Belk bought them out, I was very uninterested in shopping there. When McRae's was closing out I would shop and hear other customers talk down at Belk. I even partook in the bad mouthing b/c you know when you hear a rumor it is true. Then when Belk opened I did notice the quality and friendliness went away. I also noticed that every now and then I would see a really good deal and think I hit the jack pot. Then I started to noticed that every time I shopped at Belk I would get a good deal. So even though McRae's has a soft spot in my heart...I am not ashamed to shop at Belk and grab their good deals. This notion is fresh on my mind b/c in my maternity clothes shopping spree I went to Belk after work. I had been before and found a dress but decided to give it one more try. I found some jeans, a shirt and another dress. All of this 40% off. It even tally's the amount you save on the receipt to really make you feel good. So yes I do agree Belk is not the best department store, but you can still find non Belk brand merchandise and get it a lot cheaper than you can Dillards. Just thought I would share one of my life lessons with you.

No comments:

Pageviews last month