Monday, November 16, 2009

Family

This past Sunday my Granddad (my mom's dad) passed away. He went to the hospital a week or so ago complaining of back pain. They were going to do a small surgery to help his back, but ended up not doing the surgery b/c of other complications. This past Friday my mom called to tell me they had put Granddad in hospice. Not sure what that is, but she said it was the stage where they made sure he was comfortable, but would not "help" him recover from any ailments. He was on pain medicine so at least he was pain free.

My Granddad was a unique man. He had been sick for quite some time now. When we would visit him or my Grandmother you would hear him pray to die. Serious prayers...my Granddad was a very religious man. I always wondered what had to happen in our world for him to be at peace enough to leave us for Heaven. I am not sure I will ever know...but I do think it was Adam becoming a priest. I think having a family member of his become a priest was an accomplishment for my Granddad. Adam is even coming back home to do his funeral. His funeral is Wednesday. It will be a sad day, but sad because there is a void in our family now. I am not sad he has left us b/c it is what he wanted for so long and he is not in pain anymore. My Granddad was also 90 years old and lived a full life. I just hope he was at peace with his world when God took him to be with Him. In away it is comforting to know he is in Heaven with Our Father and that he is with his brothers, sister, and parents. That has to be a very sweet reunion.

2 comments:

Telena said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandfather. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Telena

The Campbells said...

I'm so sorry about your grandfather, Erin. That was really special to hear how Adam becoming a priest meant so much to him. I'll be thinking of you and your family on Wednesday. Love you!

Pageviews last month