Monday, June 8, 2009

My Baby Brother is now a priest

This past weekend Owen and I went to Memphis to celebrate Adam's ordination into the priesthood. It was a great family weekend. We took Friday off and drove to Memphis. Friday night was his rehearsal dinner. We got to meet some of the other priest in the diocese of Memphis and the other three men getting ordained with Adam. Saturday was the ordination. The church was so packed with people praying for Adam and the other three men. We got to sit in the front row and were able to experience the entire ceremony without anyone in our way. Adam did a great job. You could tell he was very ready for this day. The Catholic church makes sure the men who are called to be priest really understand the commitment. I know Adam understands it. After the ordination my cousin Nellie and her husband Craig hosted a party at their home. I think 150 of Adam's closest friends and family came to the party. It was 10:00 pm before Owen and I left and we weren't the last ones to leave. It was fun to watch Adam in his element. He had his best friends from High School around him and family members that love him all in the same place. I know he had to feel very loved. I know I am proud of him. I did cry a little, but nothing like I did in Rome. I think I didn't cry as much because I could tell in Adam's face how at peace he was with his decision and I already got my emotions out months earlier. It was still a very special and sentimental weekend for me. Sunday we went to the church we attended when we lived in Germantown. Adam said his first mass there. He blessed the bread and wine for the first time and through him God was shown. It truly was amazing. The homily (given by his friend Fr. Kirby) talked about the Trinity and what a mystery it is. The whole time I kept thinking that "mystery" is a perfect word for the whole weekend. It is a mystery to me that Adam heard the call from God to choose this profession. It is one that I don't understand, just one I have to accept. But accepting is not hard for me because I have always accepted the Catholic Faith. I have never questioned my faith and have always been a proud Catholic. Luckily I married a man who appreciates that about me and is willing to be a great participant even though he did not grow up Catholic. Adam did a great job with his first mass. I could tell he was nervous, but he did fantastic. The congregation is so excited to have Adam in Memphis and excited that he got his start at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church. After mass there was a reception for him. He gave out blessings and everyone enjoyed a nice fellowship with each other. It was truly a blessed weekend.

I did take pictures, but I haven't downloaded them yet. Hopefully by tomorrow I can post some pictures.

1 comment:

Telena said...

Congratulations to Adam!! What an awesome experience! I got goosebumps reading your post!

Pageviews last month