Monday, February 23, 2009

Weekend stories

This past weekend was a busy one. I took the day off Friday b/c my parents were going to come for a visit. My dad had out patient had hand surgery on Friday and they were going to drive to Hattiesburg after the surgery and stay until Monday. He had to go back to the doctor on Monday so instead of driving to Selma which is close to a 3 hour drive, they would come visit Owen and me. Another part of this story is my Grandmother has been in the hospital for a week now. She has an infection in her lymph nodes and they do not know what caused the infection. Back to my dad...his surgery went well but was more tired that he thought he would be, so they stayed the night in Mobile. Which was good b/c my mom was able to be to visit her mom and help my Aunt Kathy out for at least a day. All of this meant, I had a day off to clean the house and relax a little.

Saturday was jam packed full of fun. I was asked to judge the Miss USM pageant. Directing the pageant was one of my "other duties assigned" when I worked at Southern and was the one aspect of leaving USM that I was going to miss. One of the judges backed out at the last minute so they asked me. I was more than willing to step in and judge. This was my first Miss Mississippi preliminary that I have judged and hopefully not the last. Saturday morning was the interviews which ended at lunch. Then at 2 pm Owen and I went over to his parents for his nephew's birthday party. Owen's brother and family were in town and his mom invited their cousins and their children for an afternoon of play time. Around 3 pm my parents came into town and joined the birthday celebration. I had to leave at 4 pm to get ready for the pageant. When I left at 5:00, my parents and Owen went back to the Muntons for hamburgers and hotdogs. It was a fun day and I am so glad that our families are able to spend time with each other and get along as well as they do.

We had a lazy Sunday morning with ESPN news, coffee and cinnamon rolls. Mid morning we went to church and out to eat for lunch. That is a Sunday ritual Owen and I have started and enjoy so much. I enjoy going out to Sunday lunch more than a weekend night date. After lunch mom went and got me flowers to plant on our back patio. She is the sole responsible person who is helping our back patio look bright and happy. Let's hope I don't kill the flowers. I am not good at remembering to water plants. That afternoon we met with the Muntons for a movie. We watched Grand Toreno (SP?) with Clint Eastwood. It was a very good movie. It was violent at times, had bad language, but the plot was great. It was very emotional and I had bad dreams about it last night. Actually I am still thinking about it, the movie was better than I thought it would be. After the movie we went to Outback. My parents have not been to Outback in 10 years, and we thought it was time for that streak to be over. Unfortunately b/c Owen and I were with them, this meant we had bad service. I don't know what it is about us, but wait staffs really don't like to help us out very much. The food was good, but again, the service was not the greatest.

That about sums up the weekend. My parents left this morning so Dad could have the doctor check out his stitches and make sure it is healing properly. It was so good to see them. Hope you all had a nice weekend.

1 comment:

Claire said...

Glad to hear your dad's surgery went well. So sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope everything turns out ok. What fun judging the pageant must have been!!!

Pageviews last month