Monday, February 10, 2014

New Teeth for Sam

Last Thursday we had Amanda and her girls over for our weekly play date. The kids were shy to get started and then they all ended up in Andrew's room. The moment I thought we needed to go check on them it was too late. Sam fell and hit his front teeth on Andrew's foot board. It is wrought iron. His cry wasn't even a scary one. I didn't even see the blood at first. I was looking at his head and face for a bump or bruise and then I saw it. Black blood in his mouth. I ran to get a towel to soak it up and put ice on it and then I saw more...his right front tooth in half. My heart sank to my stomach. I immediately texted Courtney who is married to our dentist with this picture.

 She sent it to her husband who told us to meet him at 6:15 and he would look at it. So we did and the nerve was exposed on the right tooth and the left one was chipped. Sam did not act like he was in pain. He ate dinner and slept all night. The next morning we went to the Wesley Medical Center's outpatient surgery center so they could put a crown on both teeth. I am in disbelief and in crisis mode.


Luckily, Sam likes to say "cheese" so we were able to get good pictures. There were 3 other babies in front of us - b/c we were not scheduled to be there - they worked us in, thank goodness!!


 Trying to pass the time by taking pictures with Daddy and Mommy!

 Being silly once the medicine started to work.




This whole ordeal has been a struggle for me! Seeing my baby hurt is the worst feeling and my heart has been sad since it happened. Once Dr. Middleton put the crowns on and Sam was in recovery he told us that both teeth had nerve damage. The right tooth was the worst and it was fractured on the back as well. Sam tolerated the anesthesia well and that was a relief!!



 He took a nap once we got home and woke up very hungry!!

 A few more snuggles with mom! He is such a sweet baby boy! We are so lucky to have him but I am redirecting my prayers for this child. My prayer is for him to think before acting!!!

On Saturday night his right crown fell off. We can't find it so assumed he swallowed it. My heart saddened again!!

A picture Sunday morning! He did not seem phased by any of this. He did not like the doctors or nurses but the pain part did not seem to bother him. He was his sweet and fun self all day on Sunday. We went this morning to put a new crown on the right tooth. I am praying it sticks. The dentist thinks they bumped it when removing his breathing tube.

That is a recap of our weekend! My parents came to visit and to check on Sam. So that was fun and we always love when they visit. Again, Owen and I are both so sad about this but are blessed to have great friends and family and a sweet boy and that makes the stress easier to handle.

1 comment:

The Campbells said...

Oh no!! Something happening to teeth is one of my biggest fears. :-( I'm so sorry you and Sam are having to deal with all of this. Hope he has adjusted well to not having his beck anymore and is still a good sleeper!!

Pageviews last month