Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Our first Date

Yesterday April 7 was the date of Owen's and my 1st date four years ago. It is amazing how quickly time goes by. I remember being so nervous on that day 4 years ago. It took me such a long time to pick out an outfit. We went out to eat after work to a resturant downtown. It was a good first date. We talked until they closed the resturant. We would see each other 2 or 3 times a week after that. Owen would take me to a new resturant for every date in the beginning. That of course stopped after the 7th place or so b/c there are only so many resturants in Hattiesburg. Then we would go to our favorites. There is one resturant in Hattiesburg, Walnut Circle Grill downtown that we love! We would go there every Saturday night. They have live music on the weekends and a patio to sit and eat. We used to be one of the only 5 customers there. I guess it was just getting started. One of our favorite memories is sitting there in the summer heat. There was no breeze and no fans at the time (I think they have added fans now). We were so hot, but neither of us would say anything, b/c we enjoyed the company. When they brought our food it made us hotter with the steam of the food. Right after we ate, one of us finally gave in to say it was too hot to stay there. Both of us were sweating. We laugh at that now b/c both of us were being so polite but were suffering from the heat. We were also there the Saturday before Hurrican Katrina. Laughing and joking as if nothing were about to happen. We listened to a band from Mobile that night. The hurricane didn't come until Sunday/Monday...but still we had no idea at the time how much of an impact that storm would have on our Mississippi.

I loved how our relationship started and progressed. It was everything I wanted and expected out of a true relationship. It is hard to remember when the 2 or 3 times a week turned into every day, but it was a smooth transition. I didn't know I would marry Owen on that first date, I was only looking to meet new people since I was so new to Hattiesburg. I had only been there 8 months. However, by the end of the summer, I knew Owen was special and that I wanted him in my life forever. We have a great friendship and a story book love (in my opinion).

We decided to celebrate our 1st date last night. Oh how different a date looks now compared to four years ago. We went to a Japanese resturant in our work clothes. I didn't change clothes, but did freshen up my make up. We were home by 9 pm (and we thought that was late) compared to 1 am on the first date. I would not trade our current life though. I love where we are now.

2 comments:

Telena said...

Awe, what a sweet story. Happy first date anniversary! :) We did something similar, except we sat outside when it was COLD to listen to music, eat, and talk! :) I love hearing other people's journey together! Keep them coming!
Love,
Telena

The Campbells said...

I loved this entry! You and Owen are so great together, and I am so happy you found that perfect match!

Pageviews last month