Monday, April 20, 2009

Homecoming Weekend

I am back from my Columbus weekend. It was MUW's homecoming. Since MUW doesn't have sports, they have always had their homecoming in the spring. I was really looking forward to this weekend because 6 of my best friends were going to be there. We also threw my good friend Melanie a baby shower so the weekend was full of fun activities. I don't have any pictures, because I was never quick enough to get my camera out, luckily my friend Jennifer took plenty and she promised to email them to us. I will post them when I get them from her.

I think this was my favorite homecoming. The seven us relaxed, caught up, and enjoyed each others company so much. When we first graduated college our conversations would be memories of the past. Which is fun to remember the college days, but this visit was about what is going on in our daily lives. I really feel like I caught up and got to know my friends a little better. We will also be close but I think it is important to know a little bit about their daily lives. I don't know, it is hard to write how I felt about the weekend. On the drive home, I was happy I went. I was happy I went to the W and happy I was involved in the clubs I was involved in. I gained such real friendships (not just from my 12 best friends, but from every friend I met there) who accepted me for who I was and who helped me grow into the person I am today. Those friendships are rare and I know how special they are and appreciate them very much.

My memory is definitely not good. I have the hardest time remembering dates and events. It was fun to go to my 4 year social club and sing the club songs and look at the pass downs (I actually had 2 of my passdowns on display). No one from my club family was there and I am not even sure there is anyone in my family tree, but seeing those passdowns that I had in my room as a college student was so much fun. MUW is a small school and our social clubs were small as well. But again seeing those 40 women bond over an organization that has been on campus since the 1950s is very special to me. In fact, that is why I choose to go to school at the W. I loved that social organizations were founded at the school for W girls. Times have definitely changed and even now the school is the midst of controversy, but going to Homecoming and seeing the same joy, laughter, and friendship I had 8-12 years ago in those students eyes was comforting.

1 comment:

Telena said...

I'm so sad I missed homecoming! I think being in touch with so many again on FB has made me miss life at the W even more! It is crazy to think that it's been so long since we were there! I'm glad you got to go and had such a great time! Maybe I'll get to go next year! :)

p.s. Great post...as I was reading, I was finding myself saying,"yes, uh huh, I know what she means!" :)

Pageviews last month