Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Santa came early

I am back with internet and a computer!!! YIPPEEE Santa came early to the Munton house. Last night Owen gave me my Christmas present. I debated on whether or not I wanted it early, but I had a feeling it would be a computer so I went for the early present.

We are adjusting to life with a newborn. Andrew is such a sweet baby. He is changing everyday and that confuses me on a daily basis. We go to our first pediatrician visit on Monday. I am curious as to how he is developing. I think he is getting bigger, but I just need affirmation that everything is going well. I am going to practice with the breast pump today. The only thing I am confused and can't seem to find an answer for is, do I serve Andrew cold breast milk? All I can find is how to thaw out frozen breast milk and that I can refrigerate breast milk. But I can't find what do with the refrigerated breast milk. Do I warm it too? I am so confused...

I am glad to be able to write on the blog again and to be able to keep up with all my blogging friends.

6 comments:

melanie said...

Hey! It is my understanding that you should never "warm" breastmilk because it breaks it down. I was told to either serve it cold or to sit it out for awhile so it would become room temp. if he wouldn't take it cold. Luke never cared. Hope this helps!

Whitney said...

You might want to ask a lactation person from the hospital. With my kids I would heat up water in the microwave and put the milk in the water to heat up but I never put the actual milk in the microwave.

Shannon said...

So glad things are going well with baby Andrew!! And, I do know that you're not supposed to heat breastmilk in the microwave, but you can either leave it out to get to room temp. or set it in a bowl/cup of warm water to warm it up. When I was working in the NICU we usually just set it out for a while to get it to room temp. Especially for newborns/pre-terms that don't drink a whole lot at one time. So glad you're back on line and can't wait to see pics of your precious baby boy!!

Telena said...

I'm so glad you're back to blogging!!! YAY for Santa coming early!! :) Can't wait to see more pictures of Andrew!!

Claire said...

Yay! So glad to hear things are going well. Yes, you can warm it in a cup or bowl of warm water, just not too hot, and don't use the microwave! People will tell you though that if he gets used to it cold, you won't have to go to the trouble everytime. I always warmed it though. When breastmilk is cold, it separates and can clog the nipple. Warming it helped it mix back up. I did read that shaking it causes it to decompose, so just swirl it gently.

The Campbells said...

I just sit mine in a cup of hot water just long enough to get the chill off.

Pageviews last month